City to test intersection safety near Lowell Elementary | Schools
To increase the safety of the Atwood Avenue, Fair Oaks Avenue and Maple Avenue intersection, the city of Madison Traffic Engineering Department will conduct a safety test near Lowell Elementary School.
The test will be held at the intersection from May 21 to June 17.
During the test, no entrance will be allowed to Maple Avenue from the north except bikes, and a no turn on red will be enforced from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday. The restriction will be placed on traffic turning from westbound Atwood Avenue to northbound Fair Oaks Avenue.
Traffic volume and speed data will be collected on key streets surrounding the intersection to determine how the modifications will impact the surrounding streets, officails said.
If the benefits of the modification outweigh the inconveniences, the intersection will be rebuilt this summer with the modifications incorporated.
Motorists are reminded to drive cautiously through the test zone.
Upcoming Events near Madison Near East
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police find ?realistic? BB gun in La Follette student?s backpack
- Officials: Madison police officer punched by teen
- Police: Pregnant woman sexually assaulted in ?violent? home invasion
- National, city, school leaders to focus on out-of-school-time programs
- Police: Blood, shell casings found outside east Madison restaurant