Suspected gas leak briefly evacuates Emerson Elementary | Parents & Kids
Students and staff at a near east Madison elementary school were briefly evacuated Thursday morning due to a suspected gas leak, officials said.
Madison Metropolitan School District spokeswoman Rachel Strauch-Nelson said students were evacuated for about 15 minutes from Emerson Elementary School Thursday morning.
Spokesman for Madison Gas & Electric, Steve Schultz, said utility crews responded to a gas leak near Emerson Elementary at 11:03 a.m. at a construction site, 107 N. Sixth St.
Gas was shut off to the faulty pipe 11:15 a.m., and the leak was repaired by early afternoon, Schultz said. MG&E said utility crews were not sent to the school.
It was not immediately clear if gas was detected at the school.
Upcoming Events near Madison Near East
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Firefighters, construction company donate school supplies
- 7 schools to offer free breakfasts, lunches on school days
- Madison police chief, district officials to host community forums
- Cause of Apollo Way fire could take months to determine
- Local firefighter bikes cross county to honor fallen firefighters