Students and staff at a near east Madison elementary school were briefly evacuated Thursday morning due to a suspected gas leak, officials said.
Madison Metropolitan School District spokeswoman Rachel Strauch-Nelson said students were evacuated for about 15 minutes from Emerson Elementary School Thursday morning.
Spokesman for Madison Gas & Electric, Steve Schultz, said utility crews responded to a gas leak near Emerson Elementary at 11:03 a.m. at a construction site, 107 N. Sixth St.
Gas was shut off to the faulty pipe 11:15 a.m., and the leak was repaired by early afternoon, Schultz said. MG&E said utility crews were not sent to the school.
It was not immediately clear if gas was detected at the school.