Old Don Miller buildings will be demolished | News
What was once the site for the Occupy Madison protesters is now one step closer to becoming an office building.
Madison?s Plan Commission unanimously agreed to demolish the buildings on the 800 block of E. Washington Ave. Monday night.
The structures used to be occupied by the Don Miller Auto Group.
City officials said the empty lot will be rebuilt into office, residential and commercial buildings with the hope it will revitalize the stretch of East Washington.
?There hasn't been much activity in the East Washington corridor for quite a while,? said Steven Cover, director of Madison?s Department of Planning & Community & Economic Development. ?Two to three new projects in this area; we think that will generate a lot of interests, bring more people into the area.?
The development of a 12-story apartment and commercial building is already under way.
Upcoming Events near Madison Near East
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 6 allegedly involved in ?violent home invasion? charged
- Police find ?realistic? BB gun in La Follette student?s backpack
- Officials: Madison police officer punched by teen
- Police: Pregnant woman sexually assaulted in ?violent? home invasion
- National, city, school leaders to focus on out-of-school-time programs