Thief attempts to steal copper, causes gas leak | News
A thief, attempting to steal copper from a gas pipeline, caused a gas leak in a home on the 3300 block of E. Washington Ave., according to Madison police.
Madison Gas & Electric and Madison police responded to the leak Wednesday morning.
According to police, someone tried to cut away a section of copper gas pipeline in the basement.
The pipe was punctured, which caused a leak, but no copper was stolen, police said.
Gas levels were extremely high and the pipe had been leaking for several days, according to police.
Police said they did not see any signs of forced entry.
The home is currently for sale.
Upcoming Events near Madison Near East
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Firefighters, construction company donate school supplies
- 7 schools to offer free breakfasts, lunches on school days
- Madison police chief, district officials to host community forums
- Cause of Apollo Way fire could take months to determine
- Local firefighter bikes cross county to honor fallen firefighters