Our network

East side kitchen fire causes $35,000 damage | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

East side kitchen fire causes $35,000 damage
News
East side kitchen fire causes $35,000 damage

A substantial kitchen fire started after a cardboard box was left sitting on a gas stove Thursday, according to Madison Fire Department officials.

Firefighters responded to Greg Ginter's Guitar Shop of Wisconsin on Atwood Avenue Thursday afternoon. Heavy smoke was coming from the front and rear of the two-story building. The owner told firefighters he put out the fire before they arrived but heavy smoke remained.

The stove's pilot light ignited the box, sparking the fire, which eventually spread to a microwave and into the kitchen ceiling. Damage was estimated at $35,000.

Madison fire officials say the department has responded to several similar fires in recent weeks prompting a call to the public to take more care around kitchen stoves.

News

Madison Near East Businesses