PD notifies community of sex offender's move to Rosemary Ave. | Crime
Police plan to hold a meeting with east Madison residents next week to notify them of a registered sex offender's scheduled move to Rosemary Avenue.
Madison police will host the community information gathering at the Salvation Army Annex, 3030 Darbo Drive, on Feb. 20 at 6:30 p.m.
According to the state Department of Corrections, 45-year-old Michael P. Nelson is required to register as a sex offender for life.
The Madison Police Department said Nelson has served the sentence imposed on him by the courts, is on parole supervision and scheduled to move into an apartment on Rosemary Avenue.
According to police, Nelson was convicted of second-degree sexual assault in 1989. He was convicted about 13 years later of first-degree sexual assault of a child and repeated acts of sexual assault of a child, in 2002. Nelson's victims have been girls known to him.
Madison police said 700 of the state's 5,000 sex offenders on probation or parole are registered to Dane County addresses. More than half live within Madison city limits.
Upcoming Events near Madison Near East
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Madison libraries, streets division to host composting classes
- Officials look for dog, possibly named Habanero, that bit man
- Police: Scammer posts as east business on classified car sales website
- Woman scammed into sending money to Lebanon
- DOJ: Madison heroin dealer sentenced to more than 15 years in prison