Goodwill holds free computer collection drives | Business
Goodwill is holding free computer collection drives from noon to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 19.
The drives will be held at the following Goodwill donation centers:
- Madison East -- 2127 East Springs Drive
- Madison West -- 4530 Verona Road
- Middleton -- 6661 University Ave.
- Monona -- 2501 Royal Ave.
Goodwill accepts working and nonworking computers, hard drives, monitors, keyboards and mice and just about anything that can be attached to a computer (e.g., printers, speakers, cords), regardless of brand. It also accepts Microsoft Xbox and Zune systems and peripherals.
Donors are asked to:
- Back up any valuable information and erase sensitive data from any hard drive before dropping it off;
- Place any monitor or scanner with broken glass in a cardboard box lined with a large plastic garbage bag, seal the box and clearly label it with "broken monitor" or "broken scanner" and the date; and
- Include the license key with any donated software.
Donated equipment is sold to the public or an environmentally conscious recycler.
Goodwill uses the revenue generated through the sale of donated computer equipment and other items to support its mission of building better communities by providing employment, housing and support to people with disabilities and other challenges.
All donations made to Goodwill are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Goodwill accepts donations of working and nonworking computer equipment year round, free of charge. The Aug. 19 collection drives are being held in an effort to increase awareness about the program.
The computer recycling program, called Reconnect, is managed by Goodwill Industries and Dell. Microsoft is a Reconnect supporting partner.
For more information about the Reconnect program, visit dell.com/reconnect or call 608-246-3140.